[c-nsp] 6509 + Netflow

Jacky Chan bigserpent at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 22:24:56 EDT 2005

Hi,
 I want to setup Netflow to monitor traffic between two GE interfaces on my
6509. The 6509 providing transit services and I want to know the traffic
between AS#1 and AS#2.

 This 6509 have two SUP-1A, MSFC+PFC, the hardware is rather old and running
hybrid OS. The traffic between two GE interfaces around 800M.

 The existing CPU utilization of the Supervisor and MSFC are 5% and 16%.

 I have read some document and they mentioned Netflow is CPU/ Memory
intensive, but the "Sampled Netflow" can help to decrease the CPU load a
lot.

 I have the following question in my brain, could you give me a hand?

1. My existing hardware is safe to configure Netflow?

2. Any tricks to configure Netflow?

3. Go for Sampled Netflow?

4. Timebased Sampling or Random Sampling ?