[c-nsp] Cisco Gigabit EthernetSwitch Module (CGESM)fortheHPBladeSystem

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Tue Oct 11 11:23:48 EDT 2005

Ok, so I raise it to 110 Meg. So now all my sinks are getting 10 meg a
second more than their ports
can handle, so the port drops it, and the hosts NAK. Once again we have a
NAK implosion.

Multicast reliability mechanisms experience traffic increases as a
function of the number of nodes
connected multiplied by the number of multicast group memberships under
congested conditions.
The second we start dropping traffic from a source - whatever the limit is
- everyone starts asking
for it again, and if we start dropping some of the retransmisssions, then
wahey, race condition.

Once again, if anyone out there has some experience with how this might
evolve in a live environment,
I'm really keen to hear it.

Internet
jtk at northwestern.edu
Sent by: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
11/10/2005 15:34

cisco-nsp
cc

Subject
Re: [c-nsp] Cisco Gigabit       EthernetSwitch  Module
(CGESM)fortheHPBladeSystem

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:38:41 +0100
christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com wrote:

> So let's say you limit your machine to 10% of the total link bandwidth
> as  multicast, to force it down to 100Meg. Nice one.
> Let's now say it tries to start sending 101 Meg. Your switch starts
> dropping 1% of all packets. Which 1%? Who knows? So
[...]

Can't you just raise the limit to 10% plus some fudge for missed
packets?  Presumably you shouldn't need much of a fudge, otherwise
it would seem worthwhile to first investigate why so so many might
be getting dropped to begin with.

John

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority