[c-nsp] EIGRP and OSPF

Brad Swanson lakepepin at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 09:18:30 EDT 2005

One good thing about NOT having area 0, no inter-area routes are learned
between non-area 0 areas.  This removes the requirement today to have to
filter between areas, as long as we do NOT have an area 0.  (test lab proved
this out)

I want to trust the IBM-supported IBM mainframes but now that I read the
last few lines of your reply, I am mistaken in my trust.  The routing
updates are outside my area of control, and since this is a somewhat
important piece of the puzzle here (understatement), I need to implement
controls around a possible fat-finger.

So, seems like I have some options:

1)  make MF's stub, this may not be an option as I have been down this path
before with IBM'ers and Cisco folks, there are some drawbacks.

2)  I prefer not use to ABR Type 3 LSA filtering, so...

3)  use multiple OSPF processes.  I suppose there are CPU issues with this
option, I will dig into this further.

and without question:

4)  filter using dist list in cmd on vlans I want to control.

With all this, the minute we implement an area 0, I will need to use a dist
list in cmd on all area 0 participants.  I proved this in the lab excersize
yesterday, it makes sense why the routes are passed when an area 0 is used,
and a dist list in will prevent bogus routes from being inserted with the
always-popular corpulent pointer...

Thanks,
brad