[c-nsp] Memory utilization threshold

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Oct 12 09:48:13 EDT 2005

I've always said the 60-70% number for CPU is pretty reasonable
given my experience troubleshooting broken networks.

As for memory, that's a much harder question to answer because
it depends on the deployment. For full BGP feed routers I'd
recommend alarms at 40M free and get really concerned at 20M
free. It's due to the use of transient memory for reconvergence.
That doesn't allow for any room to grow other things on the platform
like # interfaces, features, etc...

As for a router not doing large routing tables you threshold can
be much smaller depending on the feature set.

Maybe a better approach is I'm a big fan of customers trending
their network and then set a threshold for alarm at some percentage
off the average.

Rodney