[c-nsp] Problem with DHCP on 2821 router

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Oct 12 14:28:37 EDT 2005

Bartosz Piec wrote:

> Young-Soo.Basler at swisscom.com napisał(a):
>
>>You need for each MAC address a new dhcp pool.... it's not nice but then
>>it works.

There is a feature introduced in 123T that allows loading of text file
for DHCP assignments...I have not used this.

> I know this and I have done this. But Linux is sending MAC address as a
> hardware-address and Windows is sending media type (01 for Ethernet)
> with MAC address as a client-identifier. And I cannot have both
> client-identifier and hardware-address configured in one DHCP pool.
> On the other way, there cannot be two DHCP pools with the same IP
> address (I have ever tried this).
>                  ^
                  even | never ?

Generally I have a default pool. I can then find the clients who I
guessed wrong and change them. Then I delete the binding. Then the
client needs to be restarted.

There has to be a better way.

Some support for treating client-identfier and mac address equivalently
would be welcome.