[c-nsp] Load balancing across 2 ADSL lines

Daniel Holme dholme at mistral.net
Thu Oct 13 07:47:52 EDT 2005

James O'Farrell wrote:
> I am looking to load balanced across 2 ADSL lines either both coming
> into the same router or using 2 separate routers, any thoughts would be
> much appreciated.

The best way to do this on one router is (providing your provider
support it on their DSL aggregation device(s)) using MLPPP. PPP will
load balance frames across both circuits quite well and is a neat, clean
configuration.

You could have issues with the whole 'latency creates buffering and CPU
issues' but in my experience it's been OK. I've done this with 1721 and
2801, using 2 and 3 circuits, all in one bundle.

Your provider will need to terminate your sessions using (probably) L2TP
and multilink across the interfaces it creates for each circuit you
connect up into the bundle.

As for two seperate routers, you open up another can of worms there,
maybe start thinking about combinations of tunneling and cef load
balancing and other dirty hacks :/

--
Dan Holme