[c-nsp] Load balancing across 2 ADSL lines

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 10:09:07 EDT 2005

On 13/10/2005 14:56, James O'Farrell wrote:

>Thanks for the info.
>
>In regards to HSRP I have seen this;
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094e90.shtml
>which used 2 x instances of HSRP to load balance.
>
>Unfortunately I am getting 2 ADSL lines from 2 Different ISP's so multilink and any routing trickery is out.

In that case, your only options are HSRP or per-destination load
balancing - which will almost certainly give you poor traffic
distribution - or two tunnels to a remote router and load-balancing
per-packet across the tunnels.

If the ADSL lines are from 2 different ISPs, you'll get an outage when
either of them dies until you delete one from the config unless you run
a routing protocol across tunnels or similar - you may find you lose
reliability this way, rather than gaining it which I guess is your aim.
ISDN dialup as a backup to ADSL may be a better choice if you need
reliability.