[c-nsp] Problem with ports on a Cisco 5500

Jeff Crowe listacct at genhex.net
Thu Oct 20 06:01:00 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I am having problems with a 5500 and certain ports on 24 port ethernet cards
(ws-x5225r) on blades 6,7, and 8.  I have a feeling the problems may also be
on blades 4 and 5 as well, but I cannot absolutely confirm that at this
point.

The problem I have is; if I connect to ports 1,2,5,6,9,10,13,14,17,18,21 or
22 on blades 6,7  or 8, I will not have connectivity.  I have the three
blades all set for the same vlan (468 in this case), portfast and spantree
is disabled on all ports.  Autonegotiation is enable.

Other cards in the chassis are a 3 port GIBC ( WS-X5403) and 2 SUP II
engines in ports 1 and 2.

The testing that I am doing is to simply connect a PC to the port and a
continuous ping to its IP address.  When moving between working ports, the
PC will respond in less than 3 seconds, but when moving to any of the
trouble ports above, the pc will no longer be able to pass traffic.  I do
see that port get link though and the console shows " 2005 Oct 19 20:25:52
%PAGP-5-PORTTOSTP:Port 7/23 joined bridge port 7/23" (or left bridge port).
Sometimes I will be able to see a MAC by using show cam dynamic mod/port,
sometimes I cannot.  I can always see a mac on that port if it is not
connected to any of the trouble ports.

I am suspecting that the machines connected to blades 4 and 5 are
experiencing the same problems (some on vlan 1, others on vlan 468), but I
think the ports in question may start passing data if you leave a PC
connected to it for long enough.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem before that can give me an idea of how
to fix it?

Thanks
Jeff.