[c-nsp] 2800's and an extra FE port..

Tim Devries tdevries at northrock.bm
Thu Oct 20 10:04:29 EDT 2005

Hi,

Funny thing I looked this up this morning and according to:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guid
e09186a00802c6bb6.html

"Cisco EtherSwitch HWICs are 10/100BaseT Layer 2 Ethernet switches with
Layer 3 routing capability. (Layer 3 routing is forwarded to the host, and
is not actually performed at the switch.). Traffic between different VLANs
on a switch is routed through the router platform. Any one port on a Cisco
EtherSwitch HWIC may be configured as a stacking port to link to another
Cisco EtherSwitch HWIC or EtherSwitch network module in the same system. An
optional power module can also be added to provide inline power for IP
telephones. The HWIC-D-9ESW HWIC requires a double-wide card slot."

I'm still a bit confused about the "(Layer 3 routing is forwarded to the
host, and is not actually performed at the switch.)" part.  By host I am
assuming it means the routing engine, but I have no idea if this is correct.

Tim