[c-nsp] Hiding a Cisco Router from a Traceroute

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Thu Oct 20 13:57:52 EDT 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Babak Farrokhi wrote:
> I am not sure if it is possible in cisco routers, but you should ask
> your router to do not modify (reduce) TTL value in packets. Once you
> could do it, the hop won't show up in traceroute output.

Bad idea.  The TTL exists to squash loops.  Don't disable the basic TTL
mechanism, even if you can.

As was said, please leave traceroute enabled.  You apparently find it useful
to be able to trace through other nets (based on your desire to have your
client continue to be able to use it), so please reciprocate by letting the
rest of us trace through your net.