[c-nsp] HSRP vs VRRP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Oct 20 14:11:27 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 02:07:29PM -0400, Tim Durack wrote:
> The Cisco recommend way of deploying HSRP (but you probably know that.)

Actually I've never seen this recommendation (especially as it won't
*work* on most Cisco routers) - can you share an URL?

> Assuming you have enough interfaces on the routers, each router
> connects to each switch, each switch is it's own network:
>
>  -----------     -----------
> | RTR-1 |    | RTR-2 |
>  -----------     -----------
>       |      \  /      |
>       |       \/       |
>  ----------- /  \  ----------
> | SW-1  |    | SW-2  |
>  -----------      -----------
>       |                |
>    ------           ------
>   | H1 |          | H2 |

So I need to ask my question again: how do you *do* this on the routers?

To make HSRP work, all interfaces need to be in the *same* Layer3 network
segment - and Cisco routers are fairly unwilling to tolerate that, unless
you do etherchanneling (or "backup interface") stuff.

We're not talking "L3 capable switches and HSRP is run on the MSFC" here
- plain L2 switches, plain L3 routers.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de