RES: [c-nsp] Hiding a Cisco Router from a Traceroute

Murilo Antonio Pugliese mpugliese at diveo.net.br
Thu Oct 20 14:19:57 EDT 2005

Before trying to deploy MPLS in your hole backbone just to make use of
the "no tag-switching ip propagate-ttl forwarded" command try the

	ip unreachables 	To enable the generation of Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) unreachable messages,
				use the ip unreachables command in interface configuration mode. To disable this function,
				use the no form of this command.

				ip unreachables
				no ip unreachables

	Syntax Description 	This command has no arguments or keywords.
	Defaults 		Enabled
	Usage Guidelines 	If the Cisco IOS software receives a nonbroadcast packet destined for itself that uses a protocol
				it does not recognize, it sends an ICMP unreachable message to the source.
				If the software receives a datagram that it cannot deliver to its ultimate destination because it knows of
				no route to the destination address, it replies to the originator of that datagram with an ICMP host
				unreachable message. This command affects all types of ICMP unreachable messages.

	----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

	The Traceroute Command
	http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/ping_traceroute.html#traceroute

	The traceroute command is used to discover the routes that packets actually take when traveling to their destination.
	The device (for example, a router or a PC) sends out a sequence of User Datagram Protocol (UDP) datagrams to an
	invalid port address at the remote host.

	Three datagrams are sent, each with a Time-To-Live (TTL) field value set to one. The TTL value of 1 causes the datagram
	to "timeout" as soon as it hits the first router in the path; this router then responds with an ICMP Time Exceeded Message (TEM)
	indicating that the datagram has expired.

	Another three UDP messages are now sent, each with the TTL value set to 2, which causes the second router to return ICMP TEMs.
	This process continues until the packets actually reach the other destination.

	"Since these datagrams are trying to access an invalid port at the destination host, ICMP Port Unreachable Messages are returned,
	indicating an unreachable port; this event signals the Traceroute program that it is finished.

Best regards.

Murilo Pugliese.