[c-nsp] MLPPP and ip load-sharing per-packet

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Oct 21 20:13:46 EDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> We don't support MPLS over a MLPPP bundle on all codes.

I'm still fighting with our routers trying to get this customer's VOIP
traffic routed over a "dedicated" circuit.  No matter what I've tried, I
just can't seem to do it.  The logical conclusion appears to be
tag-switching "breaks IP routing", at least in 12.2.14S3.

i.e. packets received on an interface doing tag-switching cannot be
rerouted using either policy routing (to route based on source IP) or even
simple static routing.  i.e.  On the 7206 closer to our core (routerO),
traffic comes in via DS3s to our core doing tag-switching.  I've set aside
1 of the many T1's connecting routerO to a remote POP 7206 (routerL).
Even if I static route the customer's VOIP server's /32 on routerO to the
routerL IP on the dedicated T1 interface, traffic to that /32 continues to
tag the tag-switched path (across the other T1s) to routerL.  Traffic
generated on routerL to the customer's staticly routed /32 takes the
configured dedicated T1 path.

Is this expected behavior?  If so, is there any way we can have just the
traffic that needs it (MPLS VPN traffic) tag-switched, and all other
traffic IP routed?

Is it possible that an upgrade, say to 12.3 mainline will allow IP routing
(either policy or static) to override tag-switching?