[c-nsp] BGP routes co-existing with different local-preference

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Tue Oct 25 05:27:49 EDT 2005

> a BGP speaker always advertises its best path towards BGP neighbors. If
> the best path is learned via iBGP (as your 7500 above), this path is
> only advertised to other iBGP peers if the BGP speaker (the 7500) is
> acting as route-reflector.
> This is the way BGP works..

Hmm, a very good point.  The actual problem is that it doesn't
seem to start advertising the less preferred routes if the other
edge router loses it's connectivity (actually: goes down).

I'm probably searching the wrong haystack here...

> Are all your iBGP speakers fully-meshed?

Yes, they are - however, both of the edge routers
are physically connected via point-to-point links to the
actual backbone.  That shouldn't matter, though...

Thanks,
Kristofer