[c-nsp] BGP routes co-existing with different local-preference

Kristofer Sigurdsson kristo at ipf.is
Tue Oct 25 07:29:29 EDT 2005

[..]
> > In this case, the 7500 would choose a best route (the eBGP neighbor
> > instead of the other edge router) and start advertising it, right?
>
> Yes, but it might take some time.
>
> > This seems not to have been the case.
>
> In which case, this would be a bug - you'd need to check what its "new best"
> route is, and see why it's not announcing it (filters, for example).

Upon further investigation, it seems that the BGP session with the
router that went down took it's time to time out, which meant the
former best routes stayed for some time.

I will arrange some time to test this thoroughly in a service
window in the near future, hopefully we will see correct behavior,
making this a mere hiccup (it was only a couple of minutes, peerings
on other routers survived, so it wasn't a complete loss of
connectivity).

Thanks a lot for your insight and assistance, Gert and Oliver.

-Kristofer