[c-nsp] OSPF Dead Timer issues

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Oct 25 08:13:19 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 12:53:38PM +0100, cisco-nsp at bppb.net wrote:
> The two units are connected via an ethernet vlan (6500 sup720 gi1/2.101,
> 7200  io-2fe fa0/0.101) and a /30. The VLAN is handled by an
> Extreme Summit 48i, which has ospf disabled on it.

Make sure you have the very latest firmware for the Extreme.

We've run into a very similar issue with a Summit 48 (no i), and the
essence seems to be "Extreme switches know that multicast is specialy in
some way, but they don't *really* know what to do with it, so the boxes
just drop every other multicast packet".

Effectively killing OSPF and EIGRP...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de