[c-nsp] BGP routes co-existing with different local-preference

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Tue Oct 25 18:07:11 EDT 2005

On 25/10/2005, at 9:29 PM, Kristofer Sigurdsson wrote:
> Upon further investigation, it seems that the BGP session with the
> router that went down took it's time to time out, which meant the
> former best routes stayed for some time.

Yup, we had a thread on this recently.  By default an IOS based box
will require between 3 and 4 minutes to detect that the other "not
directly attached" router has gone away (i.e. no interface state
change).  This is the result of IOS using 60 second keepalives for the
BGP session and you need to miss 3 keepalives before the hold timer
expires.  Then factor in time for other paths to be advertised and
selected as best and you can be down for quite some time.

We are running trials with reduced keepalive times and things are
looking good.  I'll post a summary here once I have more confidence in
the results.  This is something you don't want to just randomly mess
with.

David