[c-nsp] BGP routes co-existing with different local-preference

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Tue Oct 25 19:26:46 EDT 2005

> An alternative to session timer tweaking is running a version that
> supports
> BGP Next Hop Tracking and having your next hops propogated in your IGP.
> Then a box failure or intermediate path failure that results in your
> next
> hop becoming unreachable will cause the removal of routes that use that
> next hop in just over the time it takes your IGP to converge and
> result in
> the triggering of best path selection for those routes.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/
> products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008045561e.html

Yup, nice step forward for some situations.  Correct me if I'm wrong,
but it doesn't help your session to a router if that router is reached
via ethernet and there's a switch between them.  You will always think
you are directly connected so there's a valid next hop even when the
box has fallen over.  Other than using BGP's timers or BFD if/when it
becomes commonly deployed, I can't see a way to detect a silent peer
failure.  I doubt BFD is ever going to be an option between AS'es so
timers look like the only option to an eBGP neighbor.

David