[c-nsp] tag-switching advertise-tags for?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Oct 27 08:42:17 EDT 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:

>> routes in question are not in our iBGP.  They're being learned via
>> OSPF.
>
> Well, then your issue can be addressed by restricting label
> advertisements to BGP next-hops (i.e. PE loopbacks)? Then your
> OSPF-learnt routes won't be label-switched, voila.

Using the no tag-switching advertise tags, and tag-switching advertise
tags for commands on just two of our routers, I got this working such that
plain IP packets are routed (between the two routers) now instead of
tag-switched, which allows me to staticly route this customer's VOIP
server down a dedicated path.

BTW, upgrading from 12.2S to 12.3M did get tagged packets over MLPPP cef
switched instead of process switched, but it seems to have introduced a
new problem.  Under either 12.2S or 12.3M, the Mu1 interface has had
issues with output drops even though we rarely got above 50% utilization.
Though I know cisco recommends against it, I was able to nearly get rid of
them under 12.2S by increasing the output hold queue.  It just seemed kind
of wrong that as individual T1's there should be output queues of 40 per
interface, but as a MLPPP interface of 5-6 T1s, there should be a single
output queue of 40.  Under 12.3(16), increasing the Mu1 output hold queue
doesn't seem to help as much.  Without any increase, I was seeing around
0.5% packet drops while there was only about 1mbps going out the Mu1.
With a hold queue of 300, the output drops are down to under 0.05% with
about 3.5mbps going out the Mu1 at the moment.  I played around with
fair-queue/no fair-queue and tried enabling fragmentation.  None of these
made a difference.  I may end up just going back to cef per-packet now
that we can keep the voice traffic on its own circuit.

Apparently as a result of the tag-switching advertise changes, I'm now
seeing messages like this from time to time on the two changed routers.

Oct 27 08:16:14: %TIB-5-WDRAWTAG: 209.208.109.128/255.255.255.128, tag
814; Withdrawn tag record has timed out.

Nobody's complaining yet, so I don't think its a problem.