[c-nsp] 2621 with cef

Steve Snodgrass ssnodgra at pheran.com
Thu Oct 27 14:00:10 EDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 10:22:15AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> According to that chart, none of the above numbers make much sense.
> Cisco specs the 2620/2621 at 1500pps if you're process switching...but
> under normal conditions, it should be cef switching most of the traffic,
> in which case they say it's good for 20kpps.  Even cef switched, they say
> it's only good for 12.8Mbps...which in the real world probably means it'll
> have a hard time when you get close to 6Mbps.
>
> Your 2621XM is spec'd at 15.36Mbps.  Unless the pdf is incorrect, I find
> it pretty hard to believe you have one pushing 40Mbps.

The PDF is correct, but it clearly states that the throughput numbers are
derived from assuming 64-byte packets.  Small packets mean maximum work for
the router; in the real world the average packet size is larger, thus I'm
able to get 40 Mbps (and apparently some people can get 60 Mbps if the
packets are large enough and the router isn't doing anything else, like a
routing protocol).

--
Steve Snodgrass * ssnodgra at pheran.com * Network and Unix Guru(?) at Large
Geek Code: GCS d? s: a C++ U++++$ P+++ L++ w PS+ 5++ b++ DI+ D++ e++ r+++ y+*