[c-nsp] Re: No "ping atm" command in 12.2-xx.Sxx

Roger Weeks rjw at mcn.org
Thu Oct 27 18:58:06 EDT 2005

James -

I don't know what router platform you're on, but I ran across the
same problem.  The 12.2S train does not include ATM ping capabilities
- specifically letting you do something like this:

#ping
Protocol [ip]: atm
ATM Interface: atm2/0.434
VPI value [0]: 4
VCI value [1]: 34
Loopback - End(0), Segment(1) [0]:
Repeat Count [5]:
Timeout [2]:
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 53-byte end-to-end OAM echoes, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 12/12/12 ms

I agree with you that this is an amazingly useful thing to have.
When we first started aggregating DSL on our 7206VXR I initially went
with 12.2.25(S) on the recommendation of a colleague at another ISP.

However, I quickly discovered two problems with 12.2.25(S):

1.  No ATM-OAM ping
2.  While 12.2.25(S) allowed me to use the "range pvc" command when
defining ATM subinterfaces for DSL customers, I quickly ran into
several bugs.  After opening a case with Cisco, I was told that while
12.2.25(S) has the "range pvc" command, it is NOT SUPPORTED.

Short story - I'm on 12.3T train now and am very happy with it.  It's
been rock solid stable, no problems at all.

--
Roger J. Weeks
Systems & Network Administrator