[c-nsp] BGP routes co-existing with different local-preference

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 07:14:20 EDT 2005

--- Alex Rubenstein <alex at nac.net> wrote:

> It may be nicer, but it's not better.
>
> Doing one BGP session for multiple physical paths
> has an inherent danger.
> Obviously, you have to staticly route the /32 of the
> far end BGP peer down
> both paths, and there is always a chance that the
> physical path may be
> dead, but show up/up on your router -- if this
> occurs, you will blackhole
> approximately 1/n your traffic, were n is the total
> number of links you
> have.
>
> Running BGP between /30's or /31's over each
> physical path may not be
> 'pretty' or 'sexy', but it is better.

I've got to disagree with you there: if you have 2 T1s
(simplicity), and statically route a /32 loopback down
each T1 (preferably to the interface, not to the
next-hop address), when one of the T1s goes down, the
/32 route is yanked from the FIB, and all traffic goes
down the remaining T1.

I know several very large ISPs who follow this model,
and it works exactly as I'm describing it.

it's all about ebgp-multihop 2...

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com