[c-nsp] Foundry trunks to Cisco Etherchannel

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Thu Sep 1 17:14:05 EDT 2005

On 01/09/2005, at 10:33 PM, Gregory Edigarov wrote:

>> Doesn't work in what way?  My guess is that you are seeing one of the
>> links passing traffic in this config but the other is idle?  Is that
>> right?  If so try changing your serveriron config from "trunk switch
>> ethe 2/1 to 2/2"  to  "trunk server ethe 2/1 to 2/2".  On the Cisco
>> end use "channel-group 1 mode on"
> They doesn't pass any traffic as if they were shutdown.

So if you remove the trunk setting and the channel-group do you see
traffic on ethe 2/1?

Below is a working config of a 2 * GigE port-channel to a
serveriron-100.  The port-channel is carrying a dot1Q trunk.  I've only
shown one of the vlans from the foundry end.  Just repeat as required.

I didn't see what kit you are using for this but if you are using
IronCore based server irons be ready for issues.  There are many, many
problems with the current 8.x and 9.x images on IronCore.  In
particular for this situation you should be careful if you want to run
the foundry as a one-armed router using a dot1q trunk to carry both the
inside and outside vlans.  There are random issues like UDP based VIPs
failing.  Having your outside and inside vlans on different
port-channels is a work around.  We ended up solving all our foundry
related problems by upgrading to some F5's.  Very nice kit.

David

---  ServerIron End ---
trunk server ethe 3/1 to 3/2
!
vlan 10 by port
  tagged ethe 3/1 to 3/2
  router-interface ve 10
!
interface ve 10
  port-name Vlan 10 VIPs
  ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.254.0
  ip vrrp-extended vrid 1
   backup priority 200
   non-preempt-mode
   advertise backup
   ip-address x.x.x.x
   vip-group 1
   enable
!

--- Cat 6500 End ---
!
interface GigabitEthernet6/5
  description xxx.yyy eth 1 - portchannel
  load-interval 30
  switchport
  switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,10,15,27,97,100,137,178,259,999
  switchport mode trunk
  spanning-tree portfast trunk
  channel-group 10 mode on
!
interface GigabitEthernet6/6
  description xxx.yyy eth 2 - portchannel
  load-interval 30
  switchport
  switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,10,15,27,97,100,137,178,259,999
  switchport mode trunk
  spanning-tree portfast trunk
  channel-group 10 mode on
!