[c-nsp] Upgrading 3x DS-3 to 3x OC-3/100Mbs

Kristian Larsson kristian at juniks.net
Fri Sep 2 15:21:33 EDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 11:51:32AM -0700, Rick Ernst wrote:

> Growth has started to strain our upstream capacity and we are looking
> at upgrading from 3x DS-3 to at least 2x OC-3 and another OC-3 or 100Mbs
> ethernet connection.
>
> We currently have 7206 VXRs fronting the DS-3s with 7500s in the core
> acting as route-relector servers.  The 7206s are running at about 1% CPU
> load per mb of inbound traffic; so we are seeing >= 40% CPU load.
Which NPE do you have and what forwarding
technique is currently employed?

40% for 40Mbps is quite a lot. My 7206 (with
NPE-G1) wont even break a swet at 40Mbps.

Do you have one VXR per DS-3?

> Our traffic level shouldn't jump dramatically (although, once you have
> capacity, sales will start selling it...:), so the 7206s could probably at
> least land the OC-3 but there wouldn't be much room left for growth.
>
> We need new terminating equipment for the OC-3s.  I'd rather not stick
> everything in one box, or even more than one upstream into a single box.
> My initial thought is to throw some 7505s at the problem, but wonder if
> there is a better and cost-effective way to land the OC-3s and come out
> with either multiple FE or GigE to feed the core.
I agree that it's wise not to stick everything in
one box but having one 7206 should be sufficient
with the proper NPE.