[c-nsp] Upgrading 3x DS-3 to 3x OC-3/100Mbs

Eric Kagan ekagan at axsne.com
Fri Sep 2 15:40:54 EDT 2005

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Kristian Larsson wrote:
>
> :>On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 11:51:32AM -0700, Rick Ernst wrote:
> :>> :>Which NPE do you have and what forwarding :>technique
> is currently employed? :> :>40% for 40Mbps is quite a lot. My
> 7206 (with
> :>NPE-G1) wont even break a swet at 40Mbps.
> :>
> :>Do you have one VXR per DS-3?
>
> 7206 is doing BGP, uRPF, and minimal ACLs.  The 1%/Mb ratio
> has been pretty constant for several years.  Our traffic is
> getting much closer to symetrical in/out than it has in the
> past. One router currently running at 32Mbs in and 22Mbs out
> is at 30% CPU.
>
> Each DS-3 has its own 7206, fed into the core with A/B FastEthernet.

I think performance will be significant (at least the 33% more) along with
higher pps plus 512MB option which is nice for BGP.  Price wise, I don't
think you can beat just upgrading the NPE vs replacing the routers.  I just
went through this myself - I didn't need a ton more horsepower to justify
750x/rsp8 or 7600, etc - just needed some boost.

Eric