[c-nsp] OSPF scalability

Andris Zarins andris.zarins at microlink.lv
Tue Sep 6 07:18:30 EDT 2005

Hi,

OSPF works finw with several thousand routes, that's not a problem.

One thing that I definately recommend is NOT to split network in several
OSPF areas. There are no winnings if you do that. None at all. Only
thing you get is more complex configuration and more chances to run into
some trouble. Areas would be recommended if you have 250+ routers, just
to scale network and maybe ease administration, or for example if you
have some stub segments. If all areas should have all routes, and there
are only some routers in each of them - stay with one area.

Also I wouldn't recomment iBGP as IGP, just because it's a bit slow.
Yea, of course it gives you more granular control of routing information
and lots of other nice features, and of course you can tune timers to
make it faster, but I'd stay with OSPF as IGP, especially - if user
sessions are dynamic and routing info changes almose every second ;) ..

Hope this helps,
Andris