[c-nsp] MPLS EXP label imposition

David Freedman david.freedman at uk.clara.net
Fri Sep 9 06:38:44 EDT 2005

 >> If it is the default behaviour whether there is a global configuration
 >> to prevent this from happening.
 >> Or, if the only way to prevent this from happening is to manually
 >> rewrite all precedence bits to 0.

Following on from Merlin's Question, We're currently looking at a way of
avoiding having to do this on all entrypoints.

The problem is, whereas its simple to imply on connections external to
the network (such as peering and transit), its not so simple when it
comes down to implying it on Gateway / PE routers, of which we have lots
in multiple countries with literally thousands of interfaces/subinterfaces.

We are mainly concerned, therefore in securing PE routers.

I experimented with QPPB for this, on the PE->P interfaces, with a map
that set precedence to zero , such as:

!
route-map reset-prec permit 10
  set ip precedence 0
!
router bgp xxxx
  table-map reset-prec
!
interface X/Y
  description PE to P connection
  bgp-policy source ip-prec-map
  bgp-policy destination ip-prec-map
!

But, of course there are two main problems with this, being:

A. It doesn't affect the automatic Prec->MPLS EXP copying (only the
precedence)

and

B. It can't differentiate between customers allowed to set the bits and
customers not allowed to do so.

Since the customers allowed to do so currently reside within VRFs of
their own, it would be nice to be able to "table-map" inside an ipv4
unicast address-family, rather than the vrf specific address families.

Does anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.