[c-nsp] reset peering session after withdrawing a more specific route

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Sat Sep 10 03:55:51 EDT 2005

On Friday, September 9, 2005, 11:29:24 PM, Rolf Mendelsohn wrote:
> Hi Jeff,

> A better bet would be to announce both routes and then go to some
> route-servers and confirm that the new route has been accepted by your peers.

> In the unlikely event that one of them has made a mistake, or hasn't updated
> their prefixes, your network could be partially unreachable if you had just
> changed the advertisement.

Hi Rolf,
Yep, we did exactly that by announcing both routes and checking
them at route-views.oregon-ix.net.  We did see both routes going
out through our transit peers.  Then we stopped announcing the /20.

> i think a clear ip bgp A.B.C.D soft out would be required, easiest way to
> check this would be a show ip bgp neigh A.B.C.D advertised-routes

> cheers
> /rolf

FWIW the /20 did disappear after being dampened for flapping for
a few minutes, and we didn't need to do any resets. ;-)  I guess
I was just trying to find out if that was reasonable to expect or
what was a common practice.  Perhaps a soft rest would have been
preferrable?

Tchuss, und Vielen Dank!

Jeff C.
--