[c-nsp] reset peering session after withdrawing a more specific route

Jeff Chan cisco-nsp at jeffchan.com
Sat Sep 10 20:18:02 EDT 2005

On Saturday, September 10, 2005, 10:36:43 AM, james edwards wrote:
> I guess
>> I was just trying to find out if that was reasonable to expect or
>> what was a common practice.  Perhaps a soft rest would have been
>> preferrable?

> When you change your route-map/filtering you must do a soft reset/clear.
> When you use the soft option you refresh your advertisements instead of
> withdrawing all routes and then readvertising, so soft clear is low impact.
> If your filter/route-map already allows whatever route you wish to advertise
> then you do not need a soft clear.

We changed our outbound prefix-filters before announcing the new
route, so the right thing seems to have gone out.  We also had
our peers update their inbound filters before our new
announcement, so it looks like we're ok all around even without
the soft reset.

Our peers may still be accepting our old prefix, but we're no
longer announcing it, and it seems to have disappeared from the
external tables.

Cheers,

Jeff C.
--