[c-nsp] The show cmd that crash any router with full routing table

Kim Onnel karim.adel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 10:53:35 EDT 2005

It appears that : (from cisco)

It was reported by a number of customers and it
has not yet been solved. The bug applies to all IOS-based boxes.

CSCsb08386
Externally found catastrophic defect: Open (O)
PRP crash by show ip bgp regexp

Symptom:
PRP crashed with show ip regexp command

Conditions:
BGP is being updated.

Workaround - 12k/PRP running 12.0(28)S2:
This crash is not seen with the command "bgp regex deterministic"
configured, available in 12.3(4)T, 12.0(26)S and 12.2(22)S and later.

Workaround for T train - C7200VXR running: 12.3(11)T6:
Configure "bgp regexp deterministic" under BGP process.

Workaround for SX train - C6500 running: 12.2(18)SXD5:
None since "bgp regexp deterministic" is not a valid command in SX
train.

The workaround uses a new deteministic regex engine. The drawback is
that this engine is much slower the the "classic" one. I can see that
they are just testing a throttle release of 12.0 to fix the problem.
I have no idea how quickly it will be integrated into other releases.