[c-nsp] Re: [j-nsp] load balancing between multiple BGP links

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Sep 14 12:26:17 EDT 2005

Alok <mailto:alokdube at hotpop.com> wrote on Wednesday, September 14, 2005
6:15 PM:

> but i would need 2 sessions?

of course. Why not?

> The algorithm I am trying to point out is generic, anytime my FIB has
> 2 ECMP routes, no matter how I configure them, they should ECMP based
> on actual link util..

You mean "link bandwidth", not "link util", right?
The FIB is stupid, it does what its being told by the RIB. So in theory
you could run EIGRP between the two routers, use EIGRP's unequal-cost
load-sharing, and the FIB would adjust its hash buckets accordingly. If
there was a way to do this with static routing (i.e. specifying a
traffic-share count), CEF would happily do this as well.

	oli