[c-nsp] MPLS, MTU and POS (STM-1) "problems"

Primoz Jeroncic jp at softnet.si
Wed Sep 14 15:58:02 EDT 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Primoz Jeroncic wrote:
>
> Do something like "mpls mtu 1546" on all interfaces you're running MPLS
> on.

Thanks Mikael for your suggestion. I tried this in my test environment and it's
working fine after I put "mpls mtu 1546" on all MPLS enabled ports. Only
"problem" I have is that on 7206VXR, I have only chance to put "mpls mtu 1524"
and not 1546 (on all other routers (c1841, c2811, c3640, c7401, gsr) I have
option of 1546).
Now while this is working on my fastethernet on test 7206vxr in my lab it
doesn't look like it would be working in real life.
When I finished pretty much every possible scenario on my test network I tried
to put this in real life (instead of fastethernet I have Gigabitethernet on
7206vxr), I still have same problem. From all other routers in network it's
working now, but everything what goes through 7206vxr still can't access GSR (P4)
on other side of STM-1, even though mpls mtu is set to 1546 (and 1524 on 7206vxr)
all over the path (on mpls enabled ports of course)
Btw if it matters... 7206vxr is running Service provider IOS 12.2.25 S25. But
the one in lab was running same version of IOS so I guess it's not and IOS
issue.
Thanks again for any other ideas which could help me solve this.

Have nice rest of day... or night :)
Primoz Jeroncic
Support - IP Connectivity & Routing
Softnet d.o.o.  tel:  +386 1 562 31 40   |
Borovec 2       fax:  +386 1 562 18 55   |       1 + 1 = 3
1236 Trzin      primoz(at)softnet.si     | for larger values of 1
Slovenija       http://flea.softnet.si/