[c-nsp] BGP confusion in 12.2(18)SXE2

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Sep 14 17:40:02 EDT 2005

One I missed that I learned about. I haven't looked all that closely
at it yet but it's in this same area.

CSCsb09852
Externally found severe defect: Open (O)
BGP: pathless nets not freed when updgrp members are out of sync

"
If the members of an updgrp get out of sync such that they have different table
versions from the rest of the updgrp members, then this could prevent BGP Scanner
from freeing pathless nets.  The end result is that you will see an increase in the
number of nets in your table and the number of attributes.  You may also see slower
convergence for the members of the updgrp in question.  To check if the updgrp
members are in sync do "show ip bgp update-group summary" and look at the table
version for each member.  If they have the same table version then they are fine, if not
they are out of sync.  To get the peers back in sync do "clear ip bgp * soft out".  This
will not bounce the sessions but will force BGP to re-advertise all prefixes to each
peer."