[c-nsp] HSRP and RIPv2

Crist Clark crist.clark at globalstar.com
Wed Sep 14 20:07:01 EDT 2005

We have a network with some devices that only speak RIPv2. On the Cisco
routers connected to the network, we are redistributing routes from EIGRP
into RIP. Two routers are in an HSRP group. What we see happening is
each of the routers is announcing the networks using RIP, but each is
sending the updates with a source address of their interface on the network
and all zeros for the next hop. Therefore the other RIP listeners use
the source on the announcement as the next hop. What we want is the
other RIP listeners to have the HSRP address as the next hop.

I am not aware of a way to get the routers to use the HSRP address as
the source on their route announcements. That does not mean there is
not one. Is there? Another option is to use "set next-hop" to force the
next hop in the RIP advertisements to be the HSRP address, but that
becomes a slight administrative hassle since this configuration is
repeated at multiple sites and we want to keep the site-specific
configuration to a minimum. It would be nice to just be able to tell the
router to use the HSRP address as the next hop and not specify the IP
address explicitly. Finally, another option might be to simply shut up
the router that is in stand-by, but how do we tell it to automatically
start talking RIP again when it comes on line?

This would seem to be something many have had to deal with before, HSRP
routers advertising their "real" IPs rather than the HSRP address into
RIP. Any suggestions?
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387