[c-nsp] Re: [j-nsp] load balancing between multiple BGP links

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Thu Sep 15 07:21:35 EDT 2005

>> no reason why I should simply not be allowed to use them both
>> why not use both?
>> Multilink is one option, this does not need that encap-mlppp either
>> ..right?
>>

> yes, but this would be only applicable to parallel links between the
> same pair of routers.
>
> And the other option is BGP link bandwidth, as I (as well as a juniper
> guy) have suggested. This will allow to set up unequal-cost loadsharing
> based on the ebgp link bandwidth.

if its a link between two willing parties, one _could_ make use of
per-packet loadbalancing and create parallel ebgp links from tunnel
interfaces.
i.e. for link1 = 10 Mbps and link2 = 20 Mbps, use one GRE tunnel across
link1 and 2 GRE tunnels across link2.

an absolute hack ... but what other 'solutions' won't be?

if its a link between two seperate providers, you'd need both to be
willing and have equipment that is able to do this without turning into
a cpu-sucking-alien ...

cheers,

lincoln.