[c-nsp] Re: [j-nsp] load balancing between multiple BGP links

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Thu Sep 15 09:22:08 EDT 2005

Alok wrote:
> My cpu util is 20% but my line card ASIC is working at 100% :) should I
> worry that the line card is over utlized?
>
> i thought as long cpu is not 100/90/80, i shudnt worry.. :(

i don't know what your router make/model is & what the linecard is, so
its hard to say whether this is good/bad/other .. BUT as a
rule-of-thumb, if you have a piece of production equipment sustaining
 >80% cpu, i'd be worried about the quality of service it is providing.

best-case the only bad thing is that there is significantly more
'switching latency' through the router and any 'gam3rz' using it won't
be happy with the ease with which competitors can gib them.

worse-case you have input-drops on other interfaces & routing protocols
on fire because the router is spending all its time trying to deliver
packets & not enough time doing housekeeping stuff.

it somewhat redefines the meaning of "best effort" !

my AU$0.02 as a non-operator,
cheers,

lincoln.