[c-nsp] Limiting number of ARP entries for 802.1q subinterfaces

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 13:50:22 EDT 2005

MAC flooding (sending frames with tons of origin MAC addresses) is
only a problem to switches, but I think you are refering to ARP
request flooding (sending packets to lots of different IP addresses in
a very short time period).

7600s has specific ways to do ARP Throttling
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080435b3f.html#wp1124944)
 but on both 7500s and 7600s you can use control-plane policing to
impose requests/second thresholds to ARP packets.

A totally different scenario would be an attacker that has control of
both an inside and an outside machine, the inside machine sitted on a
very large sub-net (/8, /16) and instructed to actually answer the ARP
requests from the router. That would be an ARP  table overflow...
don't know it there is some prevention to this.

Rubens