[c-nsp] L2TPv3 vs. VPLS

Tantsura, Jeff jtantsura at ugceurope.com
Fri Sep 16 05:16:47 EDT 2005

Vincent,

If you don't need P2MP and don't have MPLS backbone in place don't even
consider VPLS, there are still some major limitations.
I think either L2TPv3 on layer 3 or QinQ on layer 2 would be suitable for
you. In the past I used L2TPv3 between 2x10720 to transport 4Gb L2 traffic
between 2 IX's, worked just fine, the only issue we've had was MTU when main
STM16 ring went down and L2TP tunnel was rerouted via Ethernet links.

Hope this helps,

--
Jeff Tantsura  CCIE# 11416
Senior IP Network Engineer