[c-nsp] 3640 and 3DES IPSec

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:30:55 EDT 2005

On 9/19/05, barney gumbo <barney.gumbo at gmail.com> wrote

> When there is approx 900 kbps in/out on the T1, CPU utilization on a 3640 I
> have is between 99-100%. Show proc cpu has the encryption process using 75%
> of the CPU consistently.
>
> Can anyone provide any real world experience with throughput on a 3640 with
> the config and operations mentioned above?

That's pretty consistent w/ what I've seen, certainly don't expect
much more. I never tried other variants (ie. SEAL) due to lack of HW
support on the far-end, only 3DES or AES which came in around the
same.

Given what a NM-VPN/MP would cost (and that its only useful on a 3620
or 3640), take a look at the 2811SEC-K9 bundle -- it will handle this
load w/ plenty of headroom.