[c-nsp] Using 7600(internet gateway) to also do Layer 2

Kim Onnel karim.adel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 06:23:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

On our biggest exchange, we have an internet CE(Gateway), a 7609 running BGP
with our upstream and terminating the OC3 links, at the same PoP we have
3550 switches that has all the PEs and downlink from gateway to the network,
the ports on the switch are all used up, so we need to get another switch.

At the 7609 we are using the Giga ports on the standby which conflicts in
using it for RPR+, so we were thinking of offloading it to a Giga module on
the 7609, so we were looking at a max. to 8 ports module

One suggestion is to solve both by getting one module that would have alot
more Giga ports, so it would be used as a switch and also offload the
standby issue to it, the difference between the price of the 8 mod.
(WS-X6408A-GBIC) and the 24 (WS-X6724-SFP) isnt much,

My question: is it advisable to let the (only) internet gateway do Layer 2
switching too, it was very happy with only the BGP functionality, i'd be
worried from any unforeseen effects, any suggestions, past experiences ?

thanks
 WS-X6724-SFP