[c-nsp] autonegotiation fail

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Sep 22 12:00:08 EDT 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, John Neiberger wrote:

> Be *very* careful when manually setting your speed and duplex settings
> on the newer switches, like the 2950. Manually setting these parameters
> can cause you more problems that it's worth. You should always use
> autonegotiation unless you have a specific situation that requires
> manual settings. In my experience over the past three years, this is

I usually recommend doing this:

speed auto
duplex full

This means the switch is still doing autoneg but if it's connected to a
10FD or 100FD hard set switch, it still behaves correctly, as speed can
always be detected whether autoneg is on or off.

If the other end unit is a hub or is hard set to HD, then it of course
will fail miserably.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se