[c-nsp] 3640 and 3DES IPSec

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Fri Sep 23 05:09:57 EDT 2005

> Oh come off it, there's been reports of problems with CEF for
> years.  And it hasn't gone away anytime soon, I had a new
> load-balanced ip cef setup blow chunks running 12.2 IOS about
> 3-4 months ago on a 3620.  I finally threw the config in the trash
> and went to MPPP and it's run fine ever since.
>
> The only time I've had CEF work right was on our 7206's running
> 12.2 and none of them are doing load balancing.  And that only
> happened in the last year or so, previously I'd get random reboots
> on them when it was enabled.

Are you mixing up "CEF" and "CEF load-sharing"?  Running routers with "no ip
cef" is generally about as much fun as being fed into the bacon slicer
feet-first.

FWIW, I much prefer MLPPP over CEF load-sharing too, where the MLPPP support
on a platform is solid.  But that's for the ease of provisioning /
management / monitoring and QoS sanity you get from having a single L3
interface rather than due to any brokenisms in CEF.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876