[c-nsp] Extending QOS over ATM network

Nassess, George (Contractor) George.Nassess at gmacrfc.com
Fri Sep 23 10:10:22 EDT 2005

Hello All,

I am posting this at the advise of someone who saw it on another forum
and thought I might get some better responses if I post it here too.

As a newly hired engineer I have been tasked with extending our QOS
across our private ATM network comprised of Cisco 8510 MSR with Cat6500s
and 3725 routers at the edge. I am having trouble finding any info on
actually configuring the QOS over the ATM network. Lots of generic
documents say it is improving in a new or forthcoming release, or is
supported but very limited discussion on configuration. Has anyone here
implemented QOS on the ATM switching portion of the network?

I have seen some guides that tell how to implement QOS at the edge of
the network for inboiund or outbound traffic, (At subinterface level for
a PVC) but I am not sure how to either;
1. Extend this feature from a 6509 or 3725 where it can be configured,
into the ATM switch so the switch will honor DSCP values or map them to
ATM COS.
2. Configure any kind of QOS on an link that is using tag-switching or
is an SVC.

Any help, sample configs, or just a general overview from someone who
has done it or seen it done would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Gus