[c-nsp] 3640 and 3DES IPSec

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Sat Sep 24 04:53:07 EDT 2005

On 24/09/2005 8:15 p.m., Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

I agree.  I have found that upon calling the TAC with what often appears to be
a bug or issue with things like IPSec, NAT or WCCP, turning CEF off at least
on the smaller platforms is one of the first things I get asked to try.  That
is probably quite telling - if CEF was rarely implicated one would expect it
would hardly ever be suggested.

My understanding is also that CEF (or in fact any sort of fast switching) is
useless on a router which is doing Firewall Inspection, due to the fact that
inspection must be done at interrupt level.  If I'm wrong someone please
correct me........but my understanding is that it is one of the main
limitations of using a router as a stateful inspected firewall :(

reuben