[c-nsp] Simple NAT based IOS failover between providers

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Mon Sep 26 14:02:34 EDT 2005

At 12:32 PM 9/26/2005, Rodney Dunn wrote:
>Setup your NAT with route-maps to match on interface.
>Depending on which interface the traffic is routed out
>of will govern which interface your traffic gets nat'ed
>to (ie: overload or pool) specific to that ISP.

Thanks, Rodney! Do you have an article or an example? I've never seen an
actual IOS config for anything this complicated before.

>Then you implement a way to make the route failover via
>IP SLA (previously called SAA) to float your static route
>from being up on the primary to switching over to the backup.
>
>If the IP SLA object comes back the primary route will come
>back in and your NAT will follow.

Excellent. I'll search for this on CCO. Does anyone have a working config
like this or is there a magic word I need need to say to TAC to get an
engineer on the phone who understands this and can help come up with a
working config?

When the T1 and DSL are both on our network, we just use a private AS and
BGP and it works fine because the loopback IP address (which is the
overloaded outside NAT interface) is always the same. In this situation, we
don't have that option.

>The gotcha I think with this is that any existing flow that
>is being NAT'ed will fail until it times out because
>a new translation on the new interface will have to be created.

The NAT timer can be set to a low value such as 1 minute, correct? If so, I
don't think this will be a problem. A momentary 1-2 minute loss is
acceptable. Client machines will lose their connections and simply reconnect.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin