[c-nsp] Cisco Cat 5513, Sup 3, and RSM module

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Mon Sep 26 20:00:37 EDT 2005

So this is it in a nutshell:

On the CatOS/switch CLI, you'll create two vlans, the internal VLAN
and the VLAN facing your ISP. You'll put the internal
hosts/switches/whatever in the one vlan, and you'll probably put just
the single port connecting to the ISP in the other VLAN.

You'll session into the RSM, and you'll create two "SVIs", switched
virtual interfaces, AKA "vlan" interfaces. Ie, interface vlan 10, etc

These SVI numbers will correspond to the VLANs you created on the
switch. You'll assign them IPs etc etc.

Then you configure routing on the RSM as on any cisco router. The
switch will NOT know anything about routing. Only the RSM does the
routing, you configure both OSPF & BGP there.

Tim

At 01:05 PM 9/26/2005, Ruben Alvarez pronounced:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759