[c-nsp] Re: Traffic Shaping packet loss

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Sep 27 01:30:34 EDT 2005

Kana,

  One of our feeds is a FE feed via a colocate too.

  My advice is as a general rule to remove any burst limiting
on your side.  Granted you are going to have customers that are complete
morons who your going to have to play games with.  But I think you need
to give more credit to most of your customers I think they are smarter
than
your giving them credit for.

  We have plenty of business customers on T1 lines that are provisioned
at 1.5MB.  We make it clear when they sign up that if we see excessive
use on their lines then we are going to raise their rates, and we graph
all of them via MRTG.  We have never had any of them wave around a
contract
claiming we can't bill them more money when we have seen excessive
use and we've gone back to them and said "Guys, we really need to talk
about what your paying us"  These have been in fact a few times that
we've brought this kind of thing up and our customer has told us to
hang on a few weeks, then they've proceeded to go through their
own organization and wack out all traces of The Weather Website applets,
IM, and other useless and bandwidth-sucking applications, whereupon
their bandwidth utilization falls off rapidly.

  The problem with limiting like what your doing is it can really badly
impact some severe latency-sensitive applications, like Telnet, xterms,
VoIP and some other things like that.  Also, keep in mind too that
when you start throwing out packets, the IP stacks of the sender
and receiver are just going to retransmit them anyway.  So you end up
increasing utilization on your lines with the retransmits.  Once a
customer
packet has arrived at your network from your own feeds, your better off
slightly delaying it in a buffer then forwarding it if you have available
bandwidth rather than tossing it, whereupon
now your own feed has just had to pass 2 packets instead of one.
It is really better to manage bandwidth at the end-user application
level, by having the app limit it, or by delaying packets through
artificial means. (which is what shaping is all about)

Ted