[c-nsp] backup with STP

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Wed Sep 28 07:43:46 EDT 2005

The only words I would say about MST are - DON'T GO THERE.

If your environment is capable of running Rapid PVST then it is
certainly what you want to be running.  RPVST+ extends the PVST+ that
you know and love to include rapid response to topology changes.  MST
gives you a totally different set of semantics (and issues/problems) to
get your head around.  Remember you no longer have an STP instance per
vlan.  The interaction with anything in your network that doesn't speak
MST can be troublesome and "interesting" to say the least.  RPVST+ is
the end-game and MST was a bump in the road on the way.

David