[c-nsp] backup with STP

Andris Zarins andris.zarins at microlink.lv
Wed Sep 28 09:06:27 EDT 2005

Completely agree with Steinar about RSTP and MST. MST is far more
scalable, especially in SP networks. If there are 5 VLANs in your
network without any chances to increase - run RSTP and things will be
fine. If there are hundreds or thousands of VLANs - with RTSP there is
an STP instance per VLAN, and even more - they are all the same - same
root bridges, same links blocked... only resources wasted to do all
computations for all instances each and every time something changed in
your network ;)

If you intend to run RSTP to load balance between some links, no
problems - create two (or more, if you need to) instances of MST - and
load balance between them. Don't be afraid of MST :)

Second - completely agree with Aivars - don't run any kind of STP with
devices NOT under your control. Interoperability is only one of problems
you might face, perhaps even not the most painful one. Imagine that
under some conditions, customer starts telling your network, that his
device is the root bridge, and if your network believes it, I guess that
might mean somewhat like 'dead end'...

If you need redundancy - think about some layer-3 solutions.

Andris