[c-nsp] backup with STP

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Wed Sep 28 19:22:54 EDT 2005

On 28/09/2005, at 10:44 PM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> Unfortunately life isn't that simple if you want to scale to something
> like 4K VLANs. RPVST+ is extremely simple to configure, but absolutely
> not scalable precisely because it runs a Spanning Tree instance per
> VLAN.

True, I'm looking at it from a datacentre perspective with hundreds,
not thousands of vlans.  However, I'm sure that there are many, many
SP's offering services over ethernet that don't have thousands of vlans
rooted on the same switch (or pair there of).  For those environments
MST isn't warranted.

David